Gillette Venus 'Subscribe to Smooth' Challenge and Review

I started my 30 Day 'Subscribe to Smooth' Challenge by Gillette Venus on 1st September and religiously used it and kept record of it. I have shared my weekly updates with you all and now it is time to round it all up in one final post where I give you all my insights about shaving, the myths, the how-to's and so on.

So, as Indians we all have faced those suggestions from our elders and salon ladies to never shave as the hair comes back thicker and it makes your skin dry and itchy, etc. I started shaving when I was in high school coz I was shit scared of getting waxed. It hurt a lot and when my mom bought me an epilator just so I would give up on shaving, it hurt even more. Epilators are no toys, girls. If not used correctly, it can hurt a lot and it might not be every one's cup of tea. Shaving has always been considered taboo among Indian women. I never understood why as I always noticed people from the west always shaved their legs. 

As I grew up, I kept switching between waxing and shaving but was never quite satisfied. Last year I came across this Gillette Venus Razor and it was a pleasant find. It gave the smoothest shave and my skin did not feel dry or itchy. In fact, I was quite comfortable. This was last summer. 

As the 2015 summer started, I decided I will stick to waxing only no matter what as the hair grows back softer. And I did stick to it for 5-6 months but you know how torturing can an in-between waxing period be. Many times such a situation presented itself when I wanted to wear something sleeveless or a short dress and I couldn't because I was in between my waxing sessions -_- And hair removal creams never suited my skin. Too much hassle it is and leaves the skin irritated. 

So, last month when Gillette Venus took this upon itself to break all the myths related to shaving, I was very excited and that is the reason I took part in it. And I will tell you guys all about it, have patience!

IMG_2247a

So, to get the best results out of a shave, you must follow few simple guidelines. I am listing down few of the tips that was shared with us by the brand and some that I have acquired through experience.
1. Never shave on dry skin. No matter how much hurry you are in, you skin must be moist for a clean and smooth shave that does not irritate your skin. Gillette offers 'Satin care' Shaving Gel that gives the best results but if you are pressed on time, you can also use hair conditioner or body lotion before you start shaving. 

2. Don't exfoliate your skin immediately after a shave. With every shave, your skin actually gets a much-needed dose of exfoliation. Each time you shave off unwanted hair, you also remove a layer of dead skin. So, shaving essentially helps exfoliate the skin while stimulating collagen production, leaving your skin smoother and younger. So, you need not exfoliate again after the shave is done.

3. The hair grows back pretty quick if you shave it off. So, you might need to shave every other day when you are in shower. The first time, it will be time consuming but from second time around it will be much quicker I promise as the hair is hardly 1 or 2mm long. 

4. Don't press the razor too hard thinking that you will get a closer shave. If you press too hard, the skin can get collected between blades and can lead to nicks and burns.

5. Shave in the opposite direction of the hair growth, this will give you the closest shave possible. 

6. You need not change the blade too frequently and neither should you use it for too long. Depending on the frequency of your shaving, the blue coloured protective strip above the blades starts to thin out. Once it is almost over, then you need to change the cartridge. 

IMG_2260

All in all, I am very happy that I took this challenge. It has revived my love for shaving, quicker, convenient and easier. And the razor lasts me an year at least, I just need to change the cartridge few times. It never gave me cuts, no matter how quickly I have tried to shave, but that doesn't mean you can be reckless with a blade. It can curve easily around the body contours and gives an excellent shave. Give it a try once and I am sure you will be converted to shaving as well just like me!

IMG_2256


You can buy the products here: